Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Catching My Breath

Life has been crazy busy these past two weeks, and it doesn't look to get any better very soon. And in the middle of caring for and playing with puppies, the best syrup year we've had for quite a while, getting the Guest House ready for its first guests, and helping care for my dad, my computer died!! Actually, it's dying a slow death, and I'm afraid to ask it to do very much for fear of a complete crash. So far, I haven't lost anything, which is a very good thing. Right now I'm working from a new laptop, which is really nifty, but I haven't had time to load my camera software or learn much about the new Windows 8 operating system.

The puppies are eight weeks old today. They have moved to the outdoor dog pen, which was more traumatic for me than for them, I think. They are snug as bugs in a rug when they all pile in their big insulated box. They shivered a little the first few days when they weren't in the box, but now they seem fine. It's pouring the snow here tonight, and when we let them out about 9 p. m., they were a bit puzzled by the white stuff. It will be fun to watch them in the morning if we get the 12-18 inches of snow that has been forecast.

We've had a great syrup season this year. In fact, it's been the best in several years and Robin has made close to 50 gallons. The syrup has a great flavor and is pretty, meaning it's a nice rich color and crystal clear. We've had some good help from Carter and Steve, who have hefted bucket after bucket of sugar water and kept the fires burning right along with Robin. And yes, there have been a few fun sugar house parties, too!

The Guest House is almost ready to open for business, which is good since our first paying guests arrive Friday evening for the Maple Festival. I'm down to hanging some pictures and arranging some d├ęcor items before I clean the kitchen countertops  and make the bed. As soon as I get me, my camera, and my new computer working together, I'll post some photos to show you the end result of all my labors.

Amid all this, I've also spent some time with my dad, and have been thinking about getting income taxes together for us and my father-in-law, and then there's the Historical Society newsletter to get done in the next ten days or so, and I haven't done my Auntie Letter for February...well, while I catch my breath, don't you hold your breath waiting for my next post! I'll get to it as soon as I can!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by! I appreciate your time and hope you found a blessing at This Sweet Life!