Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Photo Friday

I didn't get the art gene. In elementary school, I dreaded art projects because I couldn't draw. A basic mountain scene with a house and stick people was just about all I could manage. In junior high, I remember begging my history teacher to let me trace a map assignment rather than draw it freehand. She relented, but my science teacher demanded that I draw a grasshopper and label its body parts. I did it, and although my finished drawing looked pretty good, it took me hours to complete, and it was not fun.

When I got my first camera, though, I took to it quickly. Back then, we used film that had to be sent away for developing and printing. All that took money, so we chose carefully before snapping too many photos. I didn't get a 35 mm camera until after I was married. It was then that I discovered that I could draw...with light! That's what the word photograph means: drawing with light. It was still expensive, though, and it was not unusual to shoot several rolls of 36 exposures, only to find that maybe a handful were actually good. Now that we're in the digital age, that's no longer an issue and I can snap away into oblivion, all because of the delete button. The problem is, I don't use that delete button often enough!

Which brings me to the reason for this post. My computer is home to literally thousands of photos! Photography is just about my favorite hobby and I don't deny myself many opportunities to practice it. I have so many lovely photos (and a lot more duds!) that no one ever sees. To remedy this, I've decided to try posting a random photo every Friday. That's still only 52 photos a year out of thousands, but it's a start. Feel free to leave comments if you like, or just enjoy the pictures. The first one will go up day after tomorrow.

3 comments:

  1. Nancy, I think this is such a good idea. Don't we all have an over amount of photos stored, on the computer or in boxes somewhere! A linky party would be a fun way for everyone to get one photo out that would never otherwise be seen..Can't wait to see you tomorrow and now that I have you coming into my in-box via e-mail, I won't miss it..Happy Thursday..Judy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you agree! And a linky party is a good idea. We'll see...

      Delete
  2. What a great idea! Looking forward to seeing all those 'randoms'!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by! I appreciate your time and hope you found a blessing at This Sweet Life!