Saturday, January 5, 2013

On Puppy Watch

It's almost time! Leah's puppies are due in about four more days and we're on Puppy Watch.

The whelping box is ready in the basement. It's really an old kitchen cabinet, but it should do just fine for the first couple of weeks.


I think Leah knows it's for her. She doesn't mind being in it at all and has even taken a nap or two there.


Her tummy is huge, and it doesn't look like there will be a shortage of milk. She must be uncomfortable because she moans, growls, yips, bites at her tummy, and in general seems to be miserable. Sometimes, if we put a hand in the right place, we can feel the puppies moving.


The cut on her leg is healing at last. She spent the better part of the past two weeks wearing the Elizabethan collar and it has paid off. I don't think she'll need to wear it anymore. Thank goodness!!


Leah seems to know that her balance is off because she is very careful going up or down the basement stairs. She takes it easy outside as well, although a quick chase after the cats is not out of the question should the opportunity arise. All in all, she's being a very patient girl.

I find myself avoiding long periods of time away from home now. After a couple of hours, I'm ready to get back to see if puppies are arriving. I might have to make a trip across the mountains early next week, at the very least taking three or four hours. I'll be on pins and needles until I can get back!

Being on Puppy Watch is a bit nerve-wracking, but pretty awe-inspiring, too. After all, it's not every day I get to watch sweet, new life under construction. I'll keep you posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by! I appreciate your time and hope you found a blessing at This Sweet Life!