Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Orphan Baby

This morning, about 8 a.m., Robin came in from the farm where he works and handed me this box.

 
"It's empty," I said.
"No, it's not," he said.
Sure enough, it wasn't empty. It was light as a feather because that's what it had in it...feathers!
 
 
We had buckets of rain all night last night. Apparently this little guy got washed away from his mama. Robin found him waddling up the driveway at the farm all alone. A thorough search of the area did not reveal Mama Goose or any other babies, so Robin brought him home.
 
 
We got him (or her?) settled in a box in the basement, under a light.
 
 
He seemed very tired and went to sleep right away.

 
When I checked on him an hour or so later, he was (and had been) up and about. And, he was trying to jump out of the box!
 
 
Since he was getting his head over the top edge of the box on each jump, I went on the hunt for a bigger home. I ended up moving him to one of our recycling bins. It's not much bigger or deeper than the first box, but it will do for a while.
 
 
After mothering our incubator chicks for a week, this baby goose seems huge!
 
 
And check out those feet!
 
 
I guess he could see through the sides of the bin because he became very agitated, pecking and trying to get through the wall in front of him. So I covered the outside of the bin with newspaper and a piece of cardboard. He quieted down right away.
 
 
Pretty soon he'll need a bigger home...and a pool! Robin thinks maybe the chickens will mother him when he gets a littler bigger. Sure hope so! But for now, like all babies, he's fluffy and sweet. Wouldn't it be nice if he would stay that way?
 

7 comments:

  1. Aww...how sweet and precious! I just want to cuddle the cutie :) Thank you for following my blog - I am now following you too :) Have a wonderful weekend!

    Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for following, Stephanie! Your blog is beautiful in many ways. I especially like your photography. How do you put your signature on your photos? I can do it one at a time, but is there an easier way? I'd appreciate any help you can give me...I have a lot to learn!

      Delete
  2. Awww, I feel as if I'm visiting Kim Imagery by Kimberly. Hope that you'll tell us how this all works out. He's an awful cute little fellow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, he is so adorable!!! Thank goodness he's being rescued because otherwise he could have become food for another critter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How is he/she going? The first night is always the hardest me thinks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Little goosey is doing fine! Watch for an update post soon.

      Delete

Thanks so much for stopping by! I appreciate your time and hope you found a blessing at This Sweet Life!